To play Three Man, you’ll need a pair of dice. Players sit around a table or in a circle, each with their cup of beer or alcohol. One player is appointed as the “Three Man.” The Three Man rolls every time, with the other player rolling a die as well. What happens will be determined based on what the two die add up to. The rules are as follows:
7: The person to the right of the player takes a drink
11: The person to the right of the player takes a drink
9: Everyone drinks
A sum of 3: Three Man drinks
4 and an Ace: Everyone must touch the floor. The last player to do so drinks
Five and an Ace: Everyone must point to the ceiling. The last player to do so drinks
Doubles: When doubles are rolled, the player can make anyone drink, including the Three Man
Once every player in the circle has had a turn; a new Three Man is appointed.
There are a number of variations to this game. Here are some common ones:
- 1+4 Thumb to table or floor. Last player to do so drinks.
- If the dice add up to five, all players must put their finger on their nose. Last person to touch their nose takes a drink.
- Ronnie Lott: If a 4 and a 2 come up on the dice, everyone drinks (social). 42 is Ronnie Lott’s jersey number.
- Rules: Rolling doubles three times in any turn grants the player the right to make a rule.
- Thumb Master: If a player rolls a 10 they become Thumb Master.
- Party Foul: If one of the dice falls off the table, the player who rolled it takes a drink.
- If someone is in the bathroom when it is their turn to roll, they are penalized one drink for every 5 seconds they are late.
- Doubles variation: If a player rolls doubles he can give one die to two different people. They each roll and the person who rolls the smaller number drinks the difference between the two dice. If the two people roll the same number, the dice are passed back and the first person rolls. The first person then must drink twice the difference. If he rolls doubles again the two people must drink triple the value of the dice (ie. player rolls 2 fours, the other two players must drink 12 each).